Foreign trained physical therapists seeking employment

  • Home
  • Foreign Trained Physical Therapists Seeking Employment

Requirements for foreign trained physical therapists seeking employment in USA:

  • 1. Permission to work in the US with a valid Social Security Card- granted by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
  • 2. Physical therapy certification AND state license- Certification is issued by Federation of School Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT) after examination. Licenses are issued by EACH state in which the PT intends to work. The following criteria are based on requirements for the State of California only.
  • Educational Credentials Review includes an agency to review and evaluate applicant’s education to determine equivalency to first professional PT degree in the US. (PTA: 60 credits vs. PT: 90 credits) Education review to be completed online by:  Foreign Credentialing Commission on Physical Therapy (FCCPT) OR  International Education Research Foundation, Inc. (IERF)
  • Verification of English Proficiency assessed by taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Each state has a different requirement for TOEFL. California requires a passing score of 89/120. Cost: $205.00
  • The individual State Board of Physical therapy will review the submitted application for license to determine permission for applicant to sit for the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE). Applicants may register for the national exam on FSBPT website once approved. Passing score of 600/800. Cost: PT/PTA $485.00
  • Completion of the California Law Examination (CLE): Demonstration of knowledge of laws and regulations related to the practice of physical therapy in the State of California. Passing score of 600/800. Cost: $65.00 USD
  • 3. Completed Employment Visa with a Healthcare Worker Certificate (USCIS) - A-1 Rehab Services to assist with this process once applicant has completed necessary national certification and state license requirements.